Coping with climate change can be an enormous challenge. Just an unified global effort, concerning all governments, will undoubtedly be enough to protect against the consequences, and the individual actions of each person is vital. Since climate change generally is a complicated issue, it is advisable to dissect the issue into smaller achievable segments.
One segment we will concentrate on is carbon emissions, and methods to decrease the CO2 contribution from every person on earth. You might be wondering what you, or your friends and family can do to create a difference in the over-all picture? Following are my best action tips; they are simple to achieve and have a clear impact.
1. Eat less red meat which is typically linked to cattle or sheep. These specific animals have a tendency to produce larger levels of methane gas (which is a greenhouse gas). Rather choose other sources of meats, for example chicken and pork have a tendency to produce much less emissions. You don’t have to eliminate red meat completely, but a few less steaks equates to much less CO2.
2. Create an energy efficient residence. Several adjustments to your everyday actions will help decrease the carbon footprint; we simply need to be sensible about how we use energy. A couple of examples:
- Switching off lights whenever we leave a room
- Switch off a Television when nobody is using it
- Wear additional clothing rather than using a heater
- Open windows rather than using the AC
A number of these actions are just a routine, although with a bit of thought these routines could be eliminated. Other actions we may consider is incorporating insulation into our homes and using energy conserving light bulbs.
3. Invest in appliances which are energy and water efficient. In addition to a behavioral modification, we can elect to buy more effective technologies which aid us in our daily lifestyles. When acquiring digital appliances, washers or televisions, study their power and/or water utilization. The more efficient they happen to be, the more you’ll save eventually, and they’ll have a smaller CO2 impact. Frequently your ‘payback period’ for energy efficient devices, is merely a couple of months to a few years.
4. Walk, bike or use public transportation. Everybody knows that automobiles certainly are a major consumer of oil (that is dwindling globally and getting more expensive), selecting to walk or ride a bike when viable not only aids the environment, but is a healthier alternative. We frequently devote our weekends to relaxing on the beaches of Tybee Island just outside of our house in Savannah, Georgia. Tybee’s local authorities are doing their part to assist the environment; during the last few years they have created many biking and walking paths to help lower CO2 emissions on the island. The majority of the residents and guests on the island make use of these paths which is certainly greenhouse friendly.
5. Recycle and Repurpose. Our culture is inclined to throw an excessive amount away and re-cycle far too little of the items we have to dispose of. Be sure to use local recycling solutions, for all plastic materials, cardboard boxes, metal and paper. Make an effort to have home appliances and tools repaired instead of replaced, it demands a smaller carbon footprint to have products repaired when compared with making them from scratch.
6. Telecommute and teleconference. Is it necessary for you battle through rush hour traffic each day, to sit down at a desk and work on your computer? Must you fly to some other city or country merely to meet with colleagues? It seems more employers are acknowledging the advantages of telecommuting and accepting the idea. Working from home is definitely an efficient and effective approach to doing work from a home office. Flights creates an enormous CO2 burden and teleconferences might help decrease the burden. Personally, my work as an investor in tax liens and deeds used to required continuous travel. The only way to participate in tax sales across the country was by way of a car or jet. However, over the last couple of years many counties began holding the tax sales online, permitting me to make my purchases from my house. Telecommuting has a huge effect on the environment when you take into account that each gallon of unleaded fuel used results in approximately 20 lbs of greenhouse gas.
Decreasing CO2 emissions isn’t something that could be accomplished by one individual or government. However, following the easy suggestions described above could be the most direct solution to reduce the CO2 effect on our world.